If you are highly sensitive and/or an empath this probably happens a lot. It means that you have absorbed the energy of the other person – usually their emotional pain. Some people (known as energy vampires) make a habit of energetically passing on their pain to others. Then they feel better and you feel worse, because you’ve (unknowingly) taken it on for them. Others may simply take on your good energy to help them feel better, leaving you feeling depleted.
When you’re not aware of it, this can become a real problem. It can accumulate, and you may find yourself taking on the energy of several different people, until you no longer know what is yours and what isn’t. It all feels like yours, yet it seems that no matter what you do nothing helps you feel better. It can become all-consuming until you lose sight of your real self under the weight of other people’s energy and emotions.
This used to happen to me a lot until I learned that this could happen and what to do to release this energy when it does. Here are some strategies for releasing this energy:
- Acknowledge and release – this sounds too easy and it is. It’s very effective though. The first step is to recognize that you may have taken on someone else’s energy (acknowledge) and then state that you choose to release it and send it back to where it came from (release). You don’t have to know where you picked it up from. Just state that you want to release any energy that is not yours, and that is not serving you.
- Visualize – if you’re a visual person it can help to visualize yourself disconnecting (unplugging) from this energy, or visualize it leaving your body – whatever visualization works best for you. It can be helpful to combine this with an affirmation or statement that you are choosing to release it and send it back.
- Replace – when you let go of something it’s helpful to replace what you’re releasing with something more positive and helpful. I like to state that as I’m releasing this energy I am replacing it with love. You can visualize yourself disconnecting or unplugging from this energy and plugging into something more positive, such as love, success, or happiness.
- Use water – take a shower and imagine the water washing away any energy that is not yours. Or take a bath with Epsom Salts and imagine the same thing.
- Go outside – take a walk outside, particularly in a forest or near water and release the energy to the positive forces of nature. Imagine yourself feeling more grounded with each step that you take.
- Write – writing can be very cathartic. Write out exactly how you feel, state that you want to release it and send it back and affirm that you will no longer allow yourself to take on other people’s energy.
- Intention – if this is something that happens frequently, particularly with people you have to interact with on a regular basis, set an intention before you have an interaction with them that you will not allow your energy to be manipulated or taken and that you will not take on their energy or emotions in any way.
If you’re a ‘helper’ type personality you may find this particularly difficult. As helpers we often believe that we can help someone else by taking on their pain. This doesn’t help them and it certainly doesn’t help you. In fact, you help them more by not taking it on.
Action Step: Start to become aware of whenever you’re taking on other people’s energy. Practice these strategies and take your power back. Don’t allow yourself to be consumed by other people’s energy.
Let this Unstoppable Affirmation support you on your journey:
I release any energy that isn’t mine or that doesn’t support me. I return it to where it came from and replace it with love.