- Ask yourself everyday “what do I really, really, really want?” You may even want to spend some time journaling on this question – just write whatever comes to you.
- Recognize that what you want can change. I think people often block themselves from identifying what they really want because they think once they decide then it’s set in stone. It’s important to recognize that what you want can change – and that’s okay. What you want today may not be exactly what you want next year or the year after. Allow yourself the flexibility for things to change. Your job is to know what you want in THIS moment.
- Practice with the little things. Sometimes it’s easier to start with little things before you move on to the big life decisions. If, for example, when someone asks you where you want to go for lunch, or what you want for your birthday, you find yourself saying “I don’t mind, whatever you want,” it’s time to change that. Start deciding what you want with small things to get in practice with connecting with what you want.
- Make a visual representation. Look through magazines and cut out pictures and words that really resonate with you and make you feel good. Then paste them onto some card to make a vision board, and put it where you can see it. This will give you some clues about what you are drawn to and what is meaningful to you.
- Make a list of what feels good to you. Start with the things you love to do, and the people you love to be around. Who and what energizes you? Get to know what feeds you energetically. Again, this will give you clues that can help you identify what you really want.
- Ask yourself why. When you identify something that you want, see if you can dig deeper and keep asking yourself why. Why do you want it? Why is this important to you? And why is that important? Digging deep in this way will help you truly connect with what’s most important for you.
- Relax. I think sometimes people are trying so hard to figure out what it is that they really want that they are actually blocking themselves from knowing. Relax and let it come to you, rather than trying to force it.
Try this daily affirmation: “I deserve to know and have what I really want and I am willing to allow myself to receive it. “