We all need community and support. And you may need different people at different times. If there are times when you feel you don’t have the support that you need, here are some thoughts that may be helpful:
- If you are highly sensitive and/or empathic, you may find it difficult to be around people, and you may be tempted to isolate yourself. It doesn’t mean that you don’t need people, it just means you need the right people (in fact we all do). Make sure you have people in your circle who understand you and accept you as you are. It’s important to find like-minded people you can connect with.
- Don’t expect your family and friends to always understand or be able to give you the advice and support that you need. It doesn’t mean they don’t love you, it may simply mean they don’t have the ability to understand certain things. Know which people you can go to for different things. For example, who is the person you can vent to without taking it on or trying to fix things for you? Who is the person who will cheer you up and make you laugh when you need it? Who is the person who can help and guide you in your professional life? They probably won’t all be the same person.
- Know who your supporters are – those people who will encourage, inspire and support you no matter what. Those are the people you want to spend more time with. Stay away from, or at least minimize your time with those who criticize, judge or complain or who try to drag you into their drama.
- Have a mentor, coach, or guide – someone who has accomplished what you want to accomplish and can help you find the right steps and the right plan for you. This should not be someone who forces you to do things their way, but someone who helps you find YOUR right way.
- Most importantly – you must be your biggest supporter. When you support yourself, you will naturally attract other people who are inspiring to be around. When you judge, criticize and blame yourself, then you’ll attract others who do the same.
Action Step: Think about the people with whom you spend the most time. Identify those who encourage and support you and push you to be your best. Make a decision to spend more time with these people.
This affirmation can also help draw the right people to you:
“I choose to surround myself with positive and supportive people. I deserve the best and receive all support I need.”
P.S. If you are intuitive, empathic and/or highly sensitive I have the perfect community ready and waiting for you and it won't cost a thing - I invite you to join our private Facebook Group for Highly Sensitive Professionals and/or join us on Friday mornings at 9:30am Pacific for a 30-minute Facebook Live broadcast - Success Strategies for Highly Sensitive People. Click on the button below to join.